The world, our classroom: Museums and cultural landscapes
Design non-formal educational programmes for students and adults of cultural, social and environmental interest, out of the classroom.
ECVET points: 3.5
Teachers and trainers in primary, secondary schools, vocational education schools and organizations, adult learning providers.
Upon completion of the training course, the participant is expected to:
- Identify the characteristics of non-formal educational programmes
- Be able to design educational programmes out of the class
- Be able to develop educational methods and material for outdoor programmes
- Be able to plan field trips
- Design and implement evaluation activities of non-formal learning programmes
Each day start with a workshop, where the theme of the day is presented.
The participants are asked to design field trips and educational programmes.
Each day, there is a field trip to places of interest, where the participants have the chance to know Athens and to practice skills and competencies acquired during the workshop.
At the end of each day, there is a reflection of the day, taking place either in class or outside the class.
During the week, the participants will develop their own portfolios with educational programmes in the places they visit.
- Museums, typology, characteristics
- Cultural landscapes, natural and urban landscapes
- Educational programmes in museums and cultural landscapes
- Organising and planning field trips
- Athens cultural heritage
- Non - formal learning – definitions and examples
- Museums – different types
- Pedagogical characteristics of educational programmes in museums
- Design principles of educational programmes
- Cultural museum, Scientific museum, exchibits and pedagogical practices
- Cultural landscapes, natural and urban environment
- Environmental education
- Planning a field trip
- Evaluation principles for educational programmes
Field trips, indicative list
- Destination Piraeus, the port of history
- Classical Athens, Visit to main archaological sites in Athens: Acropolis, Museum of Acropolis, Zeus Temple, Ancient Agora, Keramicos
- Scientific museums: Planetarium, Eugenides Foundation, Cultural Centre Hellenic Cosmos, University of Athens museums
- Cultural landscapes: Athens seaside and Sounio cape. Temple of Poseidon and the famous sunset
- Urban landscapes: The neighborhoods of Athens, day and night walks of places of interest
The learning material consists of presentations and support material. The learning material will be available on-line in English language.
Jean Glover: Teacher and adult trainer, British National, she has lived in 4 countries and worked in 15.
George Velegrakis: Engineer, with Environmental and urban planning studies. Active citizen, involved in environmental protection and sustainability.
Tuition fee: 350 euro per person
The cost includes the learning material and the certificates: Certificate of completion, Europass Certificate Supplement, Europass Mobility
Organisation fee and cultural activities: 140 euro per person
The cost includes the coffee breaks, public transport for the field trips in Athens and Piraeus, bus for the field trip to Sounio, two common dinners. The entrance fees to sites and museums are not included. Lunch is not included.
The cost can be funded by Erasmus+ programme KA1 mobility of staff.